Monday, April 25, 2011

Etta James


Etta James
Etta James may be eating her words after she was criticized for making comments about the president and Beyonce at a concert in Seattle last week.
Two years after the inauguration, Etta James still has a bone to pick. Apparently she thought she was more entitled to perform at the White House than that other diva… oh what’s her name.
“You know, YOUR President, the one with the big ears-he ain’t MY President–had that woman singing for him at his Inauguration. She’s going to get her ass whooped. How dare Beyonce sing MY song that I been singing forever.” She told the crowd.
( Oh Etta! You seem to have forgotten that “At Last” was originally Nat King Cole’s song. But we’ll forget that for now…)
In an interview with the New York Daily News she retracted her Obama comments saying,
“I didn’t really mean anything. Even as a little child, I’ve always had that comedian kind of attitude… That’s probably what went into it.”
And as for Obama she’s always liked him – “(I) always thought he was handsome and he was cool. I still had my joke about him. That might be horrible. The President might not ever like me in life. (But) he’s got other stuff (to worry about) besides Etta James.”
Now Beyonce – she has quite forgiven saying that watching BeyoncĂ© made her feel “left out of something that was basically mine, that I had done every time you look around.”
I feel sorry for Etta James – she’s right. When I think of “At Last” I do think of the late greats performing it – not Beyonce.

Share/Bookmark